Monday, April 20, 2009

Computer issues

I just posted a page on my other blog moore fun in planet utah about a bowel story. Its rather funny and I highly recommend you read it. This blog however I will discuss my unfortunate accident last night.
As I was shutting down for the night I accidentally knocked over a glass of wine. Some landed on the keyboard but nothing to write home about. I carefully wiped it off, shut it off, went to bed and prayed like hell. I got up at 3:30am confident all was well with my lifeline. I turned it on and it worked beautifully. Until I tried to type in my facebook user and password. The keyboard was not responding. So for two hours I did everything. I even called my hp tech support but once he discovered I had let my warranty expire (which I had no clue about) he basically told me he could not (or would not) help me. He finally hung up and at that moment I decided my next computer would be a Dell.
All I could do was to walk out to my living room, flop down in a pout on my chaise and watched an episode of The Unit I had Tivoed. When my husband got up he knew by the mere fact I was reading and not facebooking. I tried to be brave but he could see I was in crisis so he made a call to the first guy we use to do computer maintenance. Once he got on the phone David handed me the phone. I was like "Hey Rodney...hope I'm not disturbing you at this early hour" He said "Well I was trying to get ready for work......" and I said "Super!! let me tell you whats going on..." and I told him. He told me to buy a new keyboard and basically hung up on me. Well that's not at all what I wanted to hear. I wanted him to say "Oh...you must've locked your keyboard or turned it off when you wiped your computer down" I really wanted to hear how I could push ctrl-alt-keyboard special fixer upper key and I would be back in business. So I made my husband call another friend...my cousin actually....who just had a baby this weekend. Once again Dave threw the phone at me like it was a hot potato and Jay answered. He was a little more friendly (however in my mind I could see this conversation...Hey Jay hope I'm not calling to early" and he'd say...well I just got back to sleep from the 4 o'clock feeding" and I would say "awesome your up...let me explain.." but I didn't have to do that song and dance). He did say....order a new keyboard and I will install it but in the meantime use another keyboard, just plug it in to your notebook as long as it has a USB port. I was ecstatic!! I went with Dave to feed the horses, got my mother to read my friends Beth's blog which was the funniest shit I have ever read and finally we raced to our storage unit to find the many keyboards I knew was in there.
Yep...they were there and all of them had the round plug...not USB. So I run to Alco (a store here that takes the place of Wal-Mart in small towns but is not really very well stocked). I was floored...they had everything else but no keyboards. Finally I made Dave go get my moms computer while she is out getting her hair done.
Now throughout this whole morning I noticed Dave was biting his tongue to keep from giving me the Big Lecture. He finally couldn't take it and blurted out "Now what have we learned from this? Maybe that there should be a no food and drink policy around the computer?" I could've gone the rest of my life without hearing that. But I have to admit if anything called for a lecture its spilling wine on a keyboard on the only computer in the house that just so happens to be a laptop.

So at this point I'm writing on my mothers computer while we brainstorm on how we can fix this before Lisa loses it.

"The very purpose of our lives is happiness and joyfulness. That is very clear. "
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment